Margaret Mason passed away peacefully on 18 February 2015.

Margaret first lived in Keynsham before moving to Hanham where she attended Hanham High School.  On leaving school Margaret worked in various clerical and secretarial roles, including the Symonds Brewery in Bristol working her way up to work for the Manager.  One of the things she enjoyed most was arranging the work’s outings, usually booking the coach and visiting various seaside towns.  Later she worked in the newsroom at the BBC in Bristol where she received Reporters news items and typed them up to be read on air – her claim to fame was working for the young David Dimbleby

She met Harold and they married in 1957.  Married life started in a flat in Clifton and before they moved to Cleeve in 1960.  They had two children Chris and Sarah who still live locally and many years’ later four grandchildren followed, two boys and two girls.  Margaret’s life focused on providing a happy, supportive family home where there was always a warm welcome for family and friends.  Whilst her children were at school Margaret worked part time at Winford Livestock Centre, in the restaurant and in various other catering roles and then at Brockley Fruit Stall.  She was also an active member of the Cleeve branch of the Red Cross, delivering meals on wheels, making tea and coffee at blood donors meetings and collecting on their behalf during Red Cross week.  At home Margaret enjoyed flower gardening and baking.

When Harold retired in the 1980’s they both joined Congresbury Bowls club and after Harold passed away suddenly in 1995 the bowls club became a large part of her life.  She was an active playing member, she was on the social committee and helped with the gardening with Marcia and Pat.  She took part in competitions and won as Finals Winner in 2007, pairs in 1994 and 1998 and triples in 2000 and 2003.  She went on a number of the bowls tours and had very many happy times at the club, making good, long lasting friendships.  In the winter months Margaret also attended short mat bowls in Congresbury.  In due course poor eyesight prevented Margaret from playing but with the help of others giving her lifts to the club she continued to attend social events until poor mobility eventually meant she could no longer attend.  She still has a bonus ball and very recently won £25.

Margaret’s wish was to continue living in her home for as long as she could and with fantastic help and support she was able to do this until the last few weeks.  After a period in hospital she moved to a residential care home where she spent 4 weeks being cared for before passing away.

I’m sure she will be remembered for being a very social, warm person, with a good sense of humour and fun and for those she ever and fun and for those she ever had a giggle with, a fabulous laugh.


Categories: Uncategorized